Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pie Night!














Growing up Bradshaw has left me with a lot of demons. None greater than the enormous pressure to produce 15-20 pies for Thanksgiving. I remember one Thanksgiving after college and husband number one, I was invited to my friend Jen's house for Thanksgiving. I felt the need to bring something....a pie. Oh...no not one pie, three pies later and plenty of time spent deciding what would give the perfect variety I came only wishing I had brought three more. Because in addition to the fun involved in making the pies also comes the fun of eating the pies. But more fun than making and eating is the games and good times that come with Thanksgiving and PIE! So in trying to think of the perfect Manhattan Connection November post, it hit me! PIE NIGHT is my favorite memory about Thanksgiving and it involves many of the people that are linked on the left!

The History of PIE Night!
Well it all started when my mother, Sally J, came up with the idea of making each of her children there own individual pie. Near the first part of November, she would begin taking orders and researching recipes. Some of the siblings stuck with one type of pie and never deviated while others tried a new pie regularly. Others were left to sneak into the kitchen at night and sampled pies of others siblings (Liz, David, and Matt please fess up...we are adults now, the truth can come out). My mother in addition to the nine pies she was making for siblings also made a few variations of apple even if no one requested then. Then she had her favorites that over the years through her research she discovered and never being able to discard would make as extra for fun. Suddenly, we had pies coming out our ears. Then came the idea of inviting friends over for pie and games and then PIE NIGHT was invented. Which was secretly a way for my mother to continue her research on pleasing pies.

Yummy PIES

Raspberry Cream
Pumpkin
Grasshopper
Strawberry Cheesecake
Coconut Cream
Choc. Candy Bar
Banana Cream
Upside Down Apple Pecan
Frozen Lemon
Dutch Apple
Mince Meat
Choc. Cream
Lemon Ribbon
Pecan
Taffy Dream Pie
Taffy Apple
Custard
Egg Nog Cream
Cherry


Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Heather said...

I barely feel worthy enought to post on a Manhattan site(since I have kept in contact with noone from these days), but it has been fun to see everyone. I do remember Thanksgiving and the pies at the Bradhsaw house. There were a lot of them. It seems like forever ago to me. Hope you all had a nice Thanksigiving.

--Heather (Jones) Scott

Bradshaw said...

Heather thanks for posting! Let me know if you want your blog link posted we would love to add you. Is Tiffany still in Germany?

Susan

Heather said...

Hi Susan, I do have a blog but it is private. I will invite you if you want, just email. rhscott1@gmail.com You can link it but it will be private. My family just got back from Germany last month, we were there 4 years. I am in culture shock, I love America but dang I miss the quaintness of Germany. Tiffani is now in Denmark actually.

Heather

Jayne said...

I always did frozen lemon pie every year. Now that I'm older I wish I would have branched out more. Mom could make anything, and I requested Frozen Lemon?